incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: discussion of release of Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-alpha
Date Sat, 14 Apr 2007 01:45:32 GMT
Hi Leo,

Please take my comments as trying to really understand your concerns.

On Apr 12, 2007, at 2:39 PM, Leo Simons wrote:

> There's just this one little tidbit - if the IPMC votes to
> *release* something, that something should then actually be
> released. "Release" has a specific meaning and we (have to) do
> "distribution at no charge to the general public" of them. I guess
> it's all in a name.

I guess I don't quite understand the issue you are raising. If the
IPMC votes to release something, then it goes back to the podling
PPMC to make it happen. I don't see the IPMC as actually "releasing"
anything. All it does is to approve a podling release, and then it's
up to the podling to take the next step.

If the podling discovers something else that's wrong, or for some
other reason decides not to release, are you suggesting that somehow
the IPMC is going to go and release it anyway?

> The alternative is to *not* release something, and then there
> should not be a release vote, but a different kind of vote, or no
> vote at all.

Well, I guess I don't see this the same way. I understand that the
IPMC doesn't want to waste its valuable (!) time reviewing stuff that
has no intrinsic value, but if a podling is at the point of wanting
to make sure it knows how to release, and has all the necessary IP
clearance, copyright notices, readme, and disclaimers, why not have a
release vote?

Granted, if a podling has three successful release votes without
actually releasing anything, it's a fair question to ask what they
are doing.

Craig

Craig Russell
DB PMC, OpenJPA PPMC