incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject all licenses go into the LICENSE file (was: Re: [VOTE] approve release of OpenJPA 0.9.7)
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:24:15 GMT
On Apr 25, 2007, at 6:23 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 April 2007 11:55, Patrick Linskey wrote:
>>>   * OpenJPA includes software developed by the SERP project
>>>     Copyright (c) 2002-2006, A. Abram White. All rights reserved.
>>>
>>> The "All rights reserved." means that it has not been
>>> properly licensed, and I as the licensee of OpenJPA will have
>>> no rights to it either.
>>>
>>> Clarification, please.
>>
>> Serp is BSD-licensed. I'm not sure if that answers the clarification,
>> but seems like it's a useful tidbit. If I understand correctly, the
>> call-out in LICENSE.txt handles that case sufficiently.
>
> Ahhhh... I now see that the LICENSE file contains all the licenses
> appended
> after each other. Not exactly my personal preference, but Ok.

A more detailed draft policy that has been circulated on board@ some
months ago (I don't think its on the web yet) by our legal VP (a.k.a.
Cliff) specifies that all these licenses go into the LICENSE file.

The main reason that the policy is of draft status is that Cliff
doesn't have enough cycles to take care of it all. A legal committee
has been formed recently which will hopefully help address, so that
this kind of information becomes sufficiently public.

I believe some information rests within the legal-discuss archives

   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/

but I don't subscribe to that list.

A rule of thumb -- when in doubt, follow the example set by httpd...

   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/LICENSE

cheers,

Leo