incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Mentors and members
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 00:42:56 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2007, at 7:46 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> to actively lead in the discharge of their duties (listed above).
>
> I don't see that list. It's a confusing sentence to me. "Mentors work to
> make sure no mentoring is needed, i.e. make sure that the podling
> becomes a self-managing community" seems clearer to me.

++1 - I wholeheartedly agree

>> Upon acceptance by the Incubator PMC, the Mentor automatically
> becomes a member of the Incubator PMC.
>
> Not completely true.

Or rather, entirely untrue.  As I mentioned before, members can easily
become iPMC members by simply messaging private@i.a.o, who in turn will
ask the board for an ack (as all other committees do after a vote).  And
they need to request this themselves, and then subscribe themselves.

But for a non-Member, it's entirely untrue.  It's always been required
to vote on adding an iPMC member for non-ASF members, just as at every
other PMC at the ASF.

The mentors of a project, as Leo hints, are as flexible as "add me if
you'll have me" or "I'm in purgatory and looking to lighten my workload,
and don't have the cycles to really do a decent job of mentoring right
now".  It's that simple to be added or removed from the mentor list,
since a mentor doesn't have specific responsibilities.

Bill