incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [Retry] Approve the release of Apache Lucene.Net 2.0 build 004 incubating
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 05:57:31 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Personally, I think the project is suffering from a chicken-egg problem.
> Without releases no users, without users no developers, without developers no
> releases.
> Somehow it also feels to me that either dotNet has no credibility at ASF, or
> that ASF has no credibility for dotNet development. So few efforts are
> started, and even fewer get some momentum.

Unfortunately (speaking here as the developer of mod_aspdotnet) there are
plenty of users to be found, but I found very little development.  In spite
of persistent calls that 'this code will hit the road without oversight'
we never attracted more than a patch or two from a single coder, and were
never able to gain traction.

The upshot is that it has exited the ASF and now lives as a one-man-show
at sourceforge (where it still has a significant number of users).  Is it
a cultural difference of .NET development?  Perhaps.  Hard to name any
projects beyond mono with a wide committer base.

Of course Apache Lucene.Net doesn't have the ms-specific tie in, so one
hopes this will change.  But I wouldn't bank on your eggs hatching from
a release, since there are users out there, but they may or may not xlate
into developer/contributors.