incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <>
Subject Re: discussion of release of Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-alpha
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 03:52:59 GMT
On Thursday 05 April 2007 05:08, Craig L Russell wrote:
> I have a hard time understanding how a podling can consider itself
> ready for graduation without having anything worth sharing, and don't
> understand what the point is of having an audit of anything short of
> a build artifact.

Assuming for a second that you are not speaking of Wicket;

A podling is ready to graduate when the community operates TheApacheWay and
has cleared the legal hurdles, not when it has something that can be used by
kreti & pleti, the general public.
Often the "usefulness" comes before the community and legalities, but from the
Incubator's point of view, it is not a concern.

So, I would claim that it is definately a positive sign that a podling is able
to cut a 'non-functional' release, or a 'functional' release that explicitly
will not be supported, future-proof and having other qualities typically
expected from Apache projects.

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here;
I  work here;