incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Question about the PMC structure for graduating projects
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 04:22:31 GMT
On Wednesday 04 April 2007 11:10, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> Is it standard practice to take the existing PPMC forward to the
> board or can the project, in its discretion, suggest a PMC made
> up of a different group of members?

The 'standard' practice is that the PPMC is moved forward to the new TLP
project's PMC. It has also been 'standard' that the committers are kept
as-is. However, some communities have arranged for 'clean up' operations
prior to the graduation proposal in collaboration with the Incubator PMC.
AFAIK, this is done in discussion with the people involved to limit any bad
feelings. End of the day, the purpose has been to keep the 'active'
community. But there are no policy in place (AFAIK).
Discussions has occured whether 'previous to ASF active' people should be
committers or not. I don't think there are any definite conclusion on that,
and handled case by case.

> For instance, the initial PPMC was made up of mentors as
> well as committers.  However, the composition of the proposed PMC is
> missing many of the committers that have been active and working on
> the project for sometime.  Is it appropriate to include those members
> in the proposal or simply stay with the PPMC and build the new PMC
> after graduation?

Personally, I am of the opinion that all committers should be PMC members, but
it is for each PMC to decide how they handle questions like these.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer