incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <>
Subject Re: OpenEJB as TLP [was;[proposal] OpenEJB Graduation Proposal]
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2007 09:23:17 GMT
On 4/3/07, Niclas Hedhman <> wrote:

> Before voting officially on this, I would like to hear from the OpenEJB and
> OpenJPA communities, of the apparent overlap in scope and whether we will see
> some form of convergence between the projects has been discussed, and if so
> what the conclusions are.

Hi Niclas,

I wonder what you meant by 'apparent overlap'. EJB 3.0 spec is made of
two parts - EJB 3.0 Core and JPA. The former is what OpenEJB aims for
whereas the latter is what OpenJPA takes care of. They're
complimentary. Moreover OpenEJB CMP 2.1 is laid on OpenJPA, that shows
our relationship and cooperation. It's not that Apache Geronimo is the
place they can live together, but it's an excellent RI for their
promises ;-) In its default distro - Apache Geronimo 2 provides EJB
3.0 via OpenEJB 3.0-SNAPSHOT, which in turn provides JPA via OpenJPA
0.9.6. I couldn't think of any better relationship and partnership and
/* whatever */ than it's happening now.

(I hope I haven't messed it up too much and am not too biased to not
notice any obvious similarities we haven't leveraged yet).

Apache OpenEJB and Apache Geronimo (P)PMC member and committer
Apache OpenJPA user/lurker

Jacek Laskowski

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: