incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Should we treat incubator releases differently to normal releases
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 02:41:35 GMT
On 3/15/07, Jeremy Boynes <jboynes@apache.org> wrote:

> Podlings cannot do Releases because they are not Projects established
> by the Board. However, the artifacts produced by them are voted on
> and approved by the Incubator PMC and hence are official Releases by
> the Incubator Project and hence by the ASF. This is essential if the
> artifacts and their authors are to receive any legal protection
> though being product of or actions by the Foundation.

And therein lies the rub, I believe.  It was my understanding that we
(ASF) did *not* want to extend such protections to the artifacts
produced by podlings, because they were *not* in fact part of the ASF
yet.

If these are indeed going to be official releases, we should totally
dispense with the requirements for "-incubating" in artifact filenames
and version numbers, let them announce the releases on announcements@
mailing lists, and all the other accouterments of a normal project
release.  If they are not going to be official releases, the state of
the world before this vote seems to make sense.

I can likely be persuaded to the "these really are official releases"
policy position (although it would reduce the role of the incubator to
just community issues, and I wonder about our comfort level with
extending the legal protection in cases where code provenance issues
might not have been cleared up yet).  But, if we're going to go there,
lets go *all* the way there instead of one baby step represented by
this vote, which would result in policies undermined by practices.

Craig