incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IP question on features being incrementally contributed via JIRA patches
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:10:21 GMT
On 3/21/07, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com> wrote:
> A college student have been participating on the Apache Tuscany project and
> is contributing a feature implementation via various patches attached to a
> JIRA [1] [2] (BTW, some attachments are huge in size as it had some IDE
> binary files that contributed to the size, it's not all source code).
>
> A question was raised on on the Tuscany community on whether or not we need
> any special grant from this student. My understanding is that, as long as he
> check the "*ASF Granted License" *checkbox, there is no need to do any
> special grant as this is the student own code contribution and he owns the
> IP over it. Is this the right understanding ?

in short: yes

it's fine to commit any code submitted through JIRA (with the checkbox
ticked). remember to include details of the JIRA patch and brief
contributor information the commit notice (for example "Feature Foo
Bar. Contributed by A.N.Other. JIRA#1984").

having a covering CLA is better. IIRC a CLA gives apache more future
flexibility. i often ask contributors if they'd like to send in a CLA.
it often takes a while a CLA to arrive and be processed so having one
on file speeds up the gap between election and the infrastructure work
completion.

having a software grant for substantial codebase is even clearer than
either a CLA, a JIRA or an implied grant (from the license).

(sounds like this developer is a potential recruit. hopefully, this
process might be a good learning experience for tuscany.)

- robert