incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jochen Wiedmann" <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:16:43 GMT
On 3/16/07, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> but this opens up the question of whether apache is making the right
> tradeoff between the risk of potental reputational damage due to poor
> quality podling releases against actual reputational damage resulting
> from this arrangement (which is somewhat annoying for users and
> developers).

I've seen this referral to "poor quality" (or however  it is termed
and whether it refers to legal aspects, release procedures, build
process, code quality or whatever) come up in this discussion
repeatedly and I still do not understand why it comes up here.

If anything is of "poor quality", then that should be discussed in the
release process. In other words, if it is serious enough, then it
should prevent publishing the release at all. Or, if it is even more
serious, then it should be revoked from the mirrors. Apart from that,
it should not have any influence on the standard distribution channel.

Branding the thing different makes sense to me. incubator-foo rather
than apache-foo, jakarta-foo, or whatever-foo makes sense. So does
INCUBATING0.2, as you suggested. But that's a completely different
thing.

Jochen

--
Emacs 22 will support MacOS and CygWin. It is not yet decided, whether
these will be used to run Emacs or the other way round.