incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Should we treat incubator releases differently to normal releases
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:54:20 GMT
Hi,

> Two parts to the vote:
>
> ONE: Should Incubator tarballs go in the normal place (and thus mirrors).
>
> [ X ] +1
> [ ] -1
>
> TWO: Should there be an Incubator maven repository.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] -1
[ X ] 0 -- don't care

We make open-source software, and our users know this.

The risk to the ASF brand is if we become like BigCo, not if we
release buggy stuff.  We shouldn't worry about the brand, we should
worry about community.

We should Release Early, Release Often, in and out of the Incubator.

There are releases of well-established projects in the ASF that are
worse than incubating releases on almost every metric.  I think the
current release oversight process for incubating releases is amply
sufficient.

As to the Maven repository: that's just an implementation detail.
Thinking that it matters is like applying security by obscurity: it
just doesn't work.

Yoav