incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Gwyn Evans" <gwyn.ev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 11:04:13 GMT
> But times change.  Apparently now people think that since the
> Incubator PMC has binding votes on podling releases, then these things
> *are* indeed official releases, providing both the usual legal
> protections to PMC members who voted for it, and assurance to
> downstream users that things like code provenance have already been
> vetted.

Well, what is the IPMC checking for, if not the above?

> If we buy into this philosophy, then a restriction on
> publishing artifacts to p.a.o/dist and the mirrors, and having a
> separate incubator repository for them, are ridiculous and should be
> removed.

Which appears to me to be the point of the discussion & vote...

> My grumpiness is over the fact that *only* removing these two
> restrictions only goes half way.  If podlings can create official ASF
> releases, then they should also not be subject to any restrictions
> like "-incubating" in artifact names or version numbers.  They are
> either official releases or not.  They can be relied upon by
> downstream users or they cannot.  If we're going to go this direction,
> go *all* the way, and erase any distinction between a podling release
> and a TLP release, since we would be claiming that there is no legal
> difference between them, nor any potential concern for downstream
> users about code provenance.  Anything in between (such as only doing
> what the vote proposes) leaves us sending totally confusing mixed
> messages.

Well, I'm not sure that the current situation isn't itself "sending
totally confusing mixed messages", but I'd have thought that one-step
at a time is enough!

/Gwyn
--
Download Wicket 1.2.5 now! - http://wicketframework.org