incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:25:55 GMT
Daniel Kulp wrote:

> So basically, the Incubator PMC now wants to start defining policies
> to control the actions of other top level Apache projects on how
> dependencies are made?

Dims is mooting an approach for how Incubator artifacts can be used as a
best practice to balance increased ease of use with ensuring that users
approve the use of such artifacts.  If anything, he seems to be advocating
moving the artifacts into the central repository, and asking ASF projects to
adopt <scope>provided</scope> as a best practice.

As for the rest, the ASL means that people can use our code as they see fit
under the terms of the license.  It does not give Apache projects, inside or
outside of the Incubator, carte blanche to ignore ASF policies.

> Anyone that takes a dependency on those projects could/would get
> an incubator artifact without explicitly asking for/authorizing it.

Which is why we setup the separate repository, although it seems without the
desired benefit.  It is a shame that we have to create policies around the
inability of some build tool to provide provide adequate functionality.

		--- Noel