incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 03:22:34 GMT
Daniel Kulp wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > As I understand it, so please correct me if I am wrong, if I download
> > a program that builds using Maven, and it has dependencies in its
> > pom.xml on Incubator artifiacts, then if Incubator artifacts are
> > conflated with ASF artifacts, then when I built the program, it will
> > automatically download the Incubator artifacts from the repository
> > without my being aware of the dependency.  However, if the Incubator
> > artifacts are segregated into a separate repository, then Maven will
> > not download them until I, the downstream user, add that repository to
> > Maven.  Is that correct or incorrect?

> If my project directly depends on incubator artifacts, I would need to
> put the incubator repository in my pom.   However, if I depend on
> another project that depends on incubator artifacts, I wouldn't because
> most likely, their poms have a repository entry for the incubator.

Ah, so the goal of requiring users to make the deliberate and explicit
decision to use Incubator artifacts is not satisfied because Maven requires
users to inspect every POM for every dependent in the entire chain.

> anything from the incubator that it needs will automatically be grabbed
> without me knowing about it.

If that is true, and we cannot fix Maven, then I agree with great
disappointment (and hardly the first time regarding Maven) there is little
point to a separate repository.  We're not getting the desired benefit.

	--- Noel