incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Should we treat incubator releases differently to normal releases
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 03:07:17 GMT
Craig McClanahan wrote:

> It was my understanding that we (ASF) did *not* want to extend
> such protections to the artifacts produced by podlings, because
> they were *not* in fact part of the ASF yet.

You have it backwards.  It isn't a matter of protecting (or not) the
podlings.  It is a matter of protecting users FROM the podlings.  Although
it happens that many podlings do exhibit quality in terms of both community
and codebase, the fact remains that they have not yet demonstrated this
sufficiently to be considered Apache projects, or they would have graduated
from the Incubator.  They are provisional, Incubator, projects, and our
downstream consumers need to make the intentional decision to use them.

There is also the desire to protect that ASF's brand from abuse (it isn't as
if we've never seen entities try to game the system, and then withdraw when
they find out that they cannot).

	--- Noel