incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Difference between Maven repository and dist directory
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:34:18 GMT
Craig McClanahan wrote:
> The policy I'm most concerned with in this thread is whether
> incubating project releases are "official" Apache releases, that
> provide the ASF legal protections to the authors, and assurances to
> the downstream users that ASF has done its usual vetting of these
> releases.

> Is everyone in ASF willing to be comfortable with the ASF stamp of
> approval on a project that might still be in the process of vetting
> code provenance, or still checking licenses, but chooses to do an
> incubating release anyway?

Of course not, but that's not where it ends, either.

Incubator releases are considerably different from those of every other ASF
PMC.  A ASF Community is expected to stand behind and maintain its releases.
That is the raison d'ĂȘtre for our collaborative community based development
model.  But the Incubator says "Sorry, Son, you're on your own.  Caveat
emptor, and it may be dead tomorrow.  If *you* want to take the risk of
using it, go right ahead, but don't expect anyone to stand behind it."
Happily, we've had very few projects where that has actually happened, but
that doesn't mean that we should stop advising users appropriately.  And
this is also why the issue doesn't transfer to projects that internally
bundle something, and stand behind their project as a whole.

	--- Noel