incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:26:50 GMT
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> > 2. per #1 projects with incubating dependencies can't be in central
> Guys, this is going too far.

Hey, wait minute.  What you just quoted is out of context, and has nothing
to do with the Incubator.  Carlos said that this #is because "central repo
must be self contained, all artifacts in central repository must have
dependencies already in central."

That is NOT an Incubator policy.  That appears to be some sort of Maven
policy, and if you think it wrong, add it to the laundry list of Maven
repository complaints.  Or ask Carlos to clarify what he is saying.  But do
not put that one at the feet of the Incubator.

> Upon entering, a project has to obey more and more conventions
> and has lesser and lesser rights. (Note, that I came in through
> one of the first incubating projects and am watching the Incubator
> since day 1. I know what I am talking about when I say "more and more".)

Then you ought to remember that originally there were *NO* releases allowed
AT ALL, and that what we're talking about is simply the mechanisms by
releases *can* happen.  Therefore we're talking about how MORE, not LESS,
rights were added.

As for your comment, "upon entering Apache, the dependent projects can no
longer trust that updates will be available through their existing
distribution channel", even those of us who don't like Maven know better
than that.  Dependent projects would find the existing dependencies in the
same place, and would have to adjust their pom to find Incubator artifacts
regardless of repository location.

	--- Noel