incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: Revised Heraldry commit ACL
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:19:27 GMT

On Mar 28, 2007, at 8:06 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>> More like a community of 4.
>
>> A 'community' includes those on the dev list, not just committers/
>> pmc.
>
> True enough.  :-)

A community also includes the users.   In this case, we were talking
about the commit ACL for a project where there's been lots of
promises of action and very little action.  In order for Heraldry to
continue there needs to be enough of the code committers who want to
continue, and 3 or 4 is a little small in my eyes.  I really do not
want to be back in this situation again in a few months.

>> I have offered several times to help where I can, but not with the
>> code base at the moment , I don't know enough, but I can help with
>> the website and putting up of docs etc, this is usually regarded
>> as a need in  most projects eyes.
>
> I had seen your offer on the list, which is why I brought it up.
> And if
> they don't want your help, I can mention any number of other ASF
> projects
> who "would kill" to have someone dedicated working on docs.  :-)

I know that I personally would be happy to have someone doing docs /
website work.   But lack of docs isn't Heraldry's first order problem
at the moment.

>> I have an ICLA already in as I am PMC member for Apache Forrest.
>> However I am not asking for commit status at this stage, if you
>> want my help then I'll submit doc and site patches via Jira and
>> someone else can then take the extra step of applying the
>> patches, it would make more sense that I do it directly but I
>> agree I have not earned any Karma on the project so far.
>
> We'll leave that to the PPMC.  Mind you, we've often suggested a
> low barrier
> of entry for Incubator projects.

Let's hope we can actually get a functioning PPMC this time around.

Ted