incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Initial composition of the PPMC
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 05:41:49 GMT
Hi Noel,

Thanks for the additional insights.

I'm trying to help set expectations for new podlings as they enter
Apache and there appear to be some holes I'd like to patch. Please
take this as an offer to help, and not criticism.

On Mar 1, 2007, at 8:46 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Craig Russell wrote:
>
>> The board resolution to establish a TLP contains the
>> initial composition of the PMC.
>
>> But I notice that the initial composition of an incubating Podling
>> PMC is not a suggested part of the incubator proposal. No one seems
>> responsible for it.
>
> we do have an initial composition.  We've looked at two different
> approaches, and I thought that we had agreed on a compromise.  I
> will have
> to check the archives, and if necessary resurrect the vote.

I'd appreciate it if you could point me to the archives where there
was a discussion and a vote.

>> should we say that the mentors are responsible for establishing
>> the PPMC?
>
> That's what I had suggested, but we've agreed that the initial PPMC
> should
> be part of the submission and voted upon by the Incubator PMC,
> along with
> the initial committer list, when voting to start Incubation.

Perhaps there is an agreement to do this in future, but I've looked
at the most recent proposals posted at http://wiki.apache.org/
incubator/ and can't seem to find any information on the proposed
PPMC composition in the submission. I've looked at Ivy, Uima, Wicket,
CXFire, Qpid, OpenJPA, and River, as they seem to be the most recent.

>> 3. Recently, the file committers/board/incubator-info.txt was added.
>> Should the process be updated to include the responsibility to post
>> the initial ppmc membership to this list?
>
> Yet another copy of redundant meta-data.

Could you please point me to the non-redundant data? I can't seem to
find it.

Thanks,

Craig

> 	--- Noel