incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Martijn Dashorst" <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Difference between Maven repository and dist directory
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:50:48 GMT
> Incubator releases are considerably different from those of every other ASF
> PMC.  A ASF Community is expected to stand behind and maintain its releases.

But even those communities can dry out and grind to a halt. It is not
that the foundation itself guarantees any support or quality,
indefinitely?

> That is the raison d'ĂȘtre for our collaborative community based development
> model.  But the Incubator says "Sorry, Son, you're on your own.  Caveat
> emptor, and it may be dead tomorrow.  If *you* want to take the risk of
> using it, go right ahead, but don't expect anyone to stand behind it."

That is why we shouldn't drop the incubator, nor its policies.
However, creating a collaborative community requires users of the
software and it should be encouraged to join the community. One means
would be to release the software using the disclaimer, and the
incubating label.

But I think the discussion here is about the legal side, which
shouldn't arise at all, given that a podling may not release without
the consent of the IPMC (== legal barrier), using the Apache brand.

Martijn

--
Learn Wicket at ApacheCon Europe: http://apachecon.com
Wicket 1.2.5 will keep your server alive. Download Wicket now!