incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Martijn Dashorst" <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:17:02 GMT
On 3/16/07, Guillaume Nodet <guillaume.nodet@worldonline.fr> wrote:
> While the incubator is a good idea, it seems that it is more difficult
> to build a community inside the incubator
> than outside, because of all the existing rules.  And remember that the
> release early, release often mantra can
> not be applied on podlings, given the pain to release a project in
> incubation.

The same rules apply for all top level projects, as I understand it,
except that the IPMC is not in the loop:
 - the PMC needs to accept (vote on) the release
 - the code needs to be completely free of legal issues regarding licenses, etc.
 - the released artifacts need to have proper NOTICE and LICENSE files
in the right places, etc.
 - the community should work in the Apache Way (tm), or else how could
they have become a TLP?

The biggest difference is that the code in the incubator typically
comes from an external source and needs to transition from non-Apache
licensed to Apache licensed. And the community needs to learn how to
work the Apache Way.

Martijn

--
Learn Wicket at ApacheCon Europe: http://apachecon.com
Wicket 1.2.5 will keep your server alive. Download Wicket now!