incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Should we treat incubator releases differently to normal releases
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 05:23:08 GMT
On 3/21/07, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/19/07, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:
> > On 3/15/07, Craig McClanahan <craigmcc@apache.org> wrote:
> > > If these are indeed going to be official releases, we should totally
> > > dispense with the requirements for "-incubating" in artifact filenames
> > > and version numbers, let them announce the releases on announcements@
> > > mailing lists, and all the other accouterments of a normal project
> > > release.  If they are not going to be official releases, the state of
> > > the world before this vote seems to make sense.
> >
> > I'd say that they are not official releases of the podling, but they
> > are official releases of the Incubator PMC. Therefore, appending or
> > prefixing the releases with "-incubating" or "incubator-" is
> > appropriate.
>
> +1
>
> (saves me posting this point :-)

+1 for keeping -incubating and disclaimer notices
+1 for putting tarballs into /dist (they are releases)
+1 for eliminating unmirrored m2 repo

I agree with Craig that our decision to allow incubating projects to cut
releases means that we can't consider them "quasi-nightlies" - i.e., they
are either ASF releases or they are not.  Assuming they are, infra@ makes
the call where they live, and that is /dist.

Phil