incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [Retry] Approve the release of Apache Lucene.Net 2.0 build 004 incubating
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:07:44 GMT

On Mar 28, 2007, at 2:22 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 3/28/07, George Aroush <george@aroush.net> wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> Thanks for taking your time and looking at this release.  To
>> answer your
>> questions:
>>
>> The files *.csproj, and *.sln are the Visual Studio.NET project
>> files --
>> those are auto generated and thus I can't edit them outside the
>> IDE -- the
>> same goes to the few *.cs files that you noticed as well as the
>> few *.xml
>> and *.html files that you highlighted.
>
> yeh
>
> IMHO it's pretty naffy that you can't add headers but that's life, i
> suppose - or at least m$
>
>> For the file,
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lucene.net/trunk/C%23/
>> contrib/Snowball.Net/Test/Analysis/Snowball/TestSnowball.cs where
>> you pointed out the use of the old style Apache License, it looks
>> like
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-update-scripts
>> didn't do the job well here.  This is an original work -- will
>> this issue prevent a release?.
>
> different people have different opinions :-/
>
> (hopefully people will jump in here)

Thanks for the invitation. ;-)

Projects without authorship of files should not be in the business of
changing other projects' licenses.

It seems to me that if the file in question has not been kept current
with the latest Apache copyright notice, then the only thing that you
can do is to leave it intact. If there is a later version of the same
file with the Apache V2 license, I'd strongly encourage you to
replace the older version. [That way, you don't have to keep
answering the same questions.]

But I see nothing wrong with distributing a file in either source or
binary form that plainly states that it is licensed under Apache v1.1.

Craig