incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 04:09:43 GMT

> I thought that I had later clarified that, but let's give it another go.
> First off, see the very first sentence.  Second, the last sentence is the
> goal: users should have to make an explicit decision to make use of
> Incubator projects.  As many users as want to make that decision are welcome
> to do so, but yes, we do not want widespread, unintentional, adoption by
> users who may be stuck (and unhappy) if the project dies.  They should be
> aware of the risks and accept them.  Do you have an issue with that?

Going to such lengths for 'widespread, unintentional adoption' seems a
bit paranoid to me. Has there ever been a situation that necessitated
this policy or that caused it to come to fruition? What exactly is
being protected if the Incubator is all about projects learning The
Apache Way?

What I really don't understand is why having 'incubating' as part of
the version and a package name of org.apache.incubator.<project> is
not enough. Because the policy of a completely separate repository
causes difficulty for users.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/