incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:49:55 GMT
> Bruce,
>
> Please see below:
>
> Draft Policy(?):
> http://www.apache.org/dev/repository-faq.html

> First email:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=115669716709268&w=2
>
> Please read this email:
> http://marc.info/?l=incubator-general&m=112355163632367&w=2
>
> In this thread:
> http://marc.info/?t=112326559200004&r=1&w=2

Thanks, Dims. This info is exactly what I needed.

After reading through the entire Thread, I am of the same opinion.
However, the message that completely, utterly threw me was Noel's
message stating:

'As I said, it is about balance.  The community that we most care about
during Incubation is the developer community, not the end-user community.  I
could go so far as to say that a bit of inconvenience for end-users is not a
bad thing because we don't want *widespread* adoption by end-users until the
project completes Incubation.  And we certainly want end-users to know what
they are getting into if/when they choose to adopt a project in the
Incubator.'

So I looked back at the Incubator exit criteria and one of the
criteria to graduation is:

'Demonstrate an active and diverse development community'

Where does this leave a project that enters to the Incubator with a
user community already? Further, where does this leave a project that
has been in the Incubator long enough to have developed a user
community?

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/