incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:11:55 GMT
> Because projects get killed/nuked as they don't have enough legs to
> stand on literally. You are assuming that every project makes it. It
> doesn't. We have to let people know that they are making a conscious
> choice by making it difficult.

I'm not assuming anything. Users are well aware that projects reside
in the Incubator - especially with 'incubating' in the project
version. I even think Niclas's suggestion to also put 'incubator' in
the package name is a good idea because it would force the Maven
groupId element to be org.apache.incubator.<project>.

I still don't understand the benefit of an Incubator policy that force
users to overcome ill-documented (or even undocumented) hurdles like
the Maven repo policy. Whenever I explain it to someone (and I have to
do this a lot) they ask me why it's so difficult and non-standard. I
explain the rationale behind the policy and they tell me it's just an
unnecessary pain - that they're clearly aware the project resides in
the Incubator.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/