incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <>
Subject Disclaimer location
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 00:04:49 GMT
On Mar 15, 2007, at 4:03 PM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> On 3/15/07, robert burrell donkin <>
> wrote:
>> the latest advice on best practice from cliff is that a separate
>> DISCLAIMER.txt is preferred to including the incubator disclaimer in
>> the NOTICE.txt. the reason is that the NOTICE.txt has legal
>> implications so it's best to restrict the contents. incubator policy
>> asks that the DISCLAIMER is distributed but this isn't something we
>> require by downstream. IMHO this isn't important enough to consider
>> re-rolling.
> Just to clarify, I haven't advocated for a file necessarily named
> "DISCLAIMER.txt" just for the incubator disclaimer.  I don't recall
> if/what the Incubator PMC policy is on that.  I do remember when we
> started the disclaimer thing (almost four years ago), we were just
> adding it to the top of the README.  Either case seems reasonable to
> me (with my Incubator PMC hat on) unless we have a stated policy
> specifying exactly one thing.
> Otherwise, Robert's comment about my advice on the NOTICE file is
> correct.  The NOTICE file should only be used for attributions and
> other notices required to be included by some third-party license or
> as required by

Isn't it something that should be propagated downstream? The purpose
of the disclaimer is to notify users that the podling isn't a fully-
endorsed Apache project and the reasons behind that don't go away
just because someone else re-licenses the jar. The legal implication
around the NOTICE is that the attributions it contains are retained
and by adding the disclaimer in there we ensure that it will be.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message