incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New project by committer...
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2007 07:52:24 GMT
Hi,

On 3/19/07, J Aaron Farr <farra@apache.org> wrote:
> "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com> writes:
> > Apache Labs isn't appropriate for his effort, since it seems that he wants
> > to build a new community, which will not be exclusively existing Committers.
>
> Funny, because I would still recommend labs, at least for a
> from-scratch effort.  New committers can submit patches and as soon as
> Niclas shows he as a decent following, it should be straight forward
> to bump it out of labs and into the incubator.

A related though not exactly similar example is the Tika project
that's currently being proposed for incubation. When the Labs project
was started I was actually planning to take the Tika idea there (I
even had the doap file and the vote message ready for sending :-), but
then I figured that the project success would be much more bound to
community growth than to technical design. After all similar code
already existed in a number of places. This realization together with
interest from other people led to the decision to go straight to the
Incubator.

So, my advice for new such projects would be to go to the Labs if your
primary interest is in peer review and cooperation on technical
issues, and to the Incubator if the main focus is in community growth.
Of course these things overlap a bit and in many cases there would be
a natural progression from the "Labs focus" to the "Incubator focus".

BR,

Jukka Zitting