incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Should we treat incubator releases differently to normal releases
Date Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:51:25 GMT
Hi,

> ONE: Should Incubator tarballs go in the normal place (and thus mirrors).

+1

> TWO: Should there be an Incubator maven repository.

-1

Rationale

ONE: Legally there should be no difference between a TLP and an
Incubating release. Additionally in practice people use links from the
project web sites to download the releases, so there aren't any extra
manual steps to "remind" people of the incubating status. Finally,
having just one official place for release distribution is simple and
easy.

TWO: The main rationale for the extra Incubator maven repository seems
to be to remind people of the incubating status of the project that
made the release. In practice that manual step can in many cases be
avoided, and in other cases the likely instructions are just to add
the repository URL rather than explaining why there is a need for such
a separate repository. The "incubator" label and the Incubator
disclaimer IMHO better convey the status of the release.

BR,

Jukka Zitting