incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:50:34 GMT
Hi,

On 3/15/07, Daniel Kulp <daniel.kulp@iona.com> wrote:
> 5) Having them separate from central really only annoys those who
> actually want to use the official apache versions.   For my customers, I
> could easily create a com.dankulp:orb:1.0 pom that just depends on yoko
> from the incubator repository.  That can be put in central and my
> customers can depend on that and not even know they are getting the
> stuff from incubator.    They would still be using the actual apache
> incubator jars, but they wouldn't have to know about it.

> #5) I really hope you don't do this :)

If I'm writing (outside the ASF) an application or a library that
depends on a release artifact from an incubating Apache project, then
I would be doing exactly that. If I'm happy with the artifact as a
dependency, then why should I need to make my downstream users
explicitly care about Apache's internal policies regarding incubating
projects?

Do we have some stated policy that if an external project depends on
incubating releases, then they need to make their downstream users
explicitly aware of that? IMHO the only requirements we place on
external uses should be those of the ASLv2.

BR,

Jukka Zitting