incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:26:38 GMT
Hi,

> As I understand it, so please correct me if I am wrong, if I download a
> program that builds using Maven, and it has dependencies in its pom.xml on
> Incubator artifiacts, then if Incubator artifacts are conflated with ASF
> artifacts, then when I built the program, it will automatically download the
> Incubator artifacts from the repository without my being aware of the
> dependency.  However, if the Incubator artifacts are segregated into a
> separate repository, then Maven will not download them until I, the
> downstream user, add that repository to Maven.  Is that correct or
> incorrect?

Incorrect. The pom.xml can also define alternative repositories to
use, in which case no user action is required.

Note that the pom.xml could just as well include GPL or commercial
dependencies with you being none the wiser. In the end it's the
end-user's responsibility to check the dependency graph for the kinds
of libraries he or she is happy with. The "incubator" label in the
version number stands up very clearly in a dependency graph.

BR,

Jukka Zitting