incubator-general mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:11:38 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>> Interested in what other views are there.
>>
>> My view:
>>
>> * Not mirroring tar.gz releases is dumb. Infra aren't worried about
>> the bandwidth and it's pointless to not put things on mirrors.
>
> I'll concur.
>
>> * Pulling releases because something didn't graduate is bad.
>
> I laugh - of course it isn't 'bad', but there's no reason not to pull
> down a disbanded /dist/incubator/deadproject/ site, since they live
> for next-to-eternity in archive.apache.org.
>
> My only concern is that incubator releases are more prone to IP and
> other issues of a legal nature than a graduated project's release, so
> I still think they should be cloistered.  But I'm done advocating for
> it, so unless others have legit objections, fix it already.  Roy's
> already done a good job advocating -for- www.apache.org/dist/incubator/
> as the distribution point of incubating projects.

I have to completely disagree with this last statement. Incubator
releases are vetted 1000% more than your average TLP release I would
venture. To get a release out of the incubator, you have to run it by
the entire IPMC, and have it reviewed. That, certainly in projects I've
been involved in, has led to a lot of legal introspection. That level of
introspection isn't demanded of a TLP (by virtue of not having to get an
external agency to approve a release).

Thus I'd suggest that incubator projects stand some chance of being in
better shape than those of TLPs.

Personally, I think that is quite natural, and to be expected, in terms
of how meritocracies tend to be better at managing/policing their
borders than what happens inside.

Regards, Upayavira