incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE][Retry] Approve the release of Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:22:10 GMT
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>> Overall the release looks good to me. I verified the *.asc signatures
>> and looked more closely at uimaj-2.1.0-incubating-src.tar.gz .
>>
>> I noticed just one thing that struck me as odd in the user
>> documentation. The "UIMA Documentation Overview" in
>> uima-docbooks/src/index.html includes an IBM copyright line after the
>> Apache copyright:
>>
>>    Copyright © 2006, 2007 The Apache Software Foundation
>>    Copyright © 2004, 2006 International Business Machines Corporation
>>
>> The Apache copyright is for the collected work published by Apache, and
>> the NOTICE file collects all copyright notices and attributions. I don't
>> know if adding non-Apache copyrights to the user doc is correct, so
>> somebody more knowledgeable needs to say for sure.
>>
>> I give this release a +1 (but realize somebody might authoritatively say
>> that the copyright in the overview doc needs to change).
>>

> We are of course happy to do whatever is correct here.  The rationale
> for doing it this way was 2-fold.
>
> First:  although *source code* no longer is supposed to have "copyright"
> statements in the headers
> (it only has license statements); the documentation (when formatted as a
> book for printing)
> traditionally has copyright statements.
> Second: the documentation is often printed into a book (it has a table
> of contents, page numbers, etc.,).  As such it
> would be somewhat more likely to be independently "distributed" than
> source code.  If we are going to
> put copyright statements in the book, it seemed appropriate to include
> the copyright statement that would
> have otherwise been in the notices file.

Such a book 'independently "distributed"' still has to adhere to the
terms of the Apache Software Licence v2 which requires a readable form
of the notice file (see 4d in ASLv2).

Maybe these IBM copyright notices would form a "readable version" of the
notice file? I don't think an ASF distribution needs to contain them, a
producer of a book would have to incorporate them into their book.

IANAL,
Dan.