incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE][Retry] Approve the release of Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:35:22 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Overall the release looks good to me. I verified the *.asc signatures
> and looked more closely at uimaj-2.1.0-incubating-src.tar.gz .
>
> I noticed just one thing that struck me as odd in the user
> documentation. The "UIMA Documentation Overview" in
> uima-docbooks/src/index.html includes an IBM copyright line after the
> Apache copyright:
>
>    Copyright © 2006, 2007 The Apache Software Foundation
>    Copyright © 2004, 2006 International Business Machines Corporation
>
> The Apache copyright is for the collected work published by Apache, and
> the NOTICE file collects all copyright notices and attributions. I don't
> know if adding non-Apache copyrights to the user doc is correct, so
> somebody more knowledgeable needs to say for sure.
>
> I give this release a +1 (but realize somebody might authoritatively say
> that the copyright in the overview doc needs to change).

We are of course happy to do whatever is correct here.  The rationale
for doing it this way was 2-fold.

First:  although *source code* no longer is supposed to have "copyright"
statements in the headers
(it only has license statements); the documentation (when formatted as a
book for printing)
traditionally has copyright statements.

Second: the documentation is often printed into a book (it has a table
of contents, page numbers, etc.,).  As such it
would be somewhat more likely to be independently "distributed" than
source code.  If we are going to
put copyright statements in the book, it seemed appropriate to include
the copyright statement that would
have otherwise been in the notices file.

But IANAL, so am happy to follow the advice of those who understand this
area better.

-Marshall