incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: PPMC docs query
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:16:14 GMT

On Jan 29, 2007, at 5:26 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 1/28/07, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 26, 2007, at 2:26 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>> committer.
>> > So to confirm I have this right...
>> >
>> > A PPMC can vote to add a new ASF committer. They don't need a
>> binding
>> > IPMC vote (ie: no mentors, no pmc@incubator people).  ?
>>
>> Hmm. Regardless of what that documentation says, I think that's
>> wrong.
>>
>> Pragmatically...
>>    * New account requests are only to be made by PMC chairs
>>      (or trusted delegates I guess), and CC-ed to private@
>>
>>    * New account requests should only be made after a CLA is
>>      recorded, and a PPMC doesn't (always) have access to the CLA
>>      registry
>>
>>    (this from memory, I haven't read the new account docs for a
>> while).
>>
>> Principally...
>>    * getting 3 binding +1s from people on a formal PMC established by
>>      the ASF board doesn't seem to be too "heavyweight" for something
>>      as significant as creating shell/svn/email accounts and handing
>>      out other committer privileges
>>
>> I think the vote should be by the PPMC, but there should be enough
>> PMC members casting a vote to make it "super-duper-binding". That's
>> what we did with harmony while it was incubating (eg votes on
>> harmony-
>> private@incubator, mentors always casting votes, too).

The terminology here (P)PMC is confusing. I'd like to clean this up.

On many PPMCs, there are only three IPMC members (the mentors). It's
often tough to get these very busy people to vote.

But I agree that on an issue as important as commit rights to Apache,
I think that the requirement should be for three binding (IPMC) votes.

And after the successful vote, one of the mentors needs to follow up
to set up the accounts, as the non-mentor PPMC members don't have the
karma.

Craig