incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Should we treat incubator releases differently to normal releases
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:41:23 GMT
Also straddling the fence, but have thought about this a lot. After
seeing the release process for incubating projects, I'd say that they
get sufficient scrutiny compared to TLP releases. So we're not
putting Apache in a bad legal position by releasing incubating
software. The only danger is that the project will fail and the
incubating release is the last release. And for me this is not a big
enough problem to make users go through the maven pain.

Adding extra maven repositories is bad. It makes everything slower in
case you are using SNAPSHOTS. And an Apache incubator repository
that's not mirrored is a single point of failure. No relief in sight
for this.

Making users acknowledge that they are using incubating software is a
good thing, but I believe that this can be addressed without the
maven pain.

On Mar 15, 2007, at 6:23 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Two parts to the vote:
ONE: Should Incubator tarballs go in the normal place (and thus

[ x] +1
[ ] -1

Having "incubating" in the artifact name is a big clue that you're
using incubating software.

TWO: Should there be an Incubator maven repository.

[ ] +1
[x ] -1

See above.