incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Discussions, polls and votes?
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 04:24:38 GMT
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > Noel J. Bergman asked:
> > > Is there a reason for calling a vote while there is still active
> discussion?
> > It was asked for and I announced I would do it
>
> Yes, but ...
>
> IMO, calling a vote in the middle of a very active discussion leads to one
> of two things:
>
>   - a VOTE thread hijacked for discussion
>   - a subtle push to terminate discussion and count votes
>
> FWIW, I don't particularly feel the same about a poll compared to a vote.

No argument on your point. The discussion activity seemed to me to
have stopped (no email for 3 hours on a thread that had been seeing
lots of emails each hour) so I went with the vote. It's started up
again now though.

I doubt there'll be a change. It seems to me that while there is a
fairly equal division of opinion on the thread at the moment however
the Incubator PMC are in the majority in favour of maintaining the
status quo while those who don't see the point are not on the
Incubator PMC.

Hen