incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Difference between Maven repository and dist directory
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 00:03:59 GMT

On Mar 16, 2007, at 10:03 AM, Craig McClanahan wrote:

> On 3/16/07, Yoav Shapira <yoavs@computer.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 3/16/07, Craig McClanahan <craigmcc@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Is everyone in ASF willing to be comfortable with the ASF stamp of
>> > approval on a project that might still be in the process of vetting
>> > code provenance, or still checking licenses, but chooses to do an
>> > incubating release anyway?
>>
>> I don't think that's the question.  The question I see is: is
>> everyone
>> in the ASF willing to agree that the Incubator PMC has sufficient
>> oversight processes in place when approving podling releases?  If so,
>> great, we're done, and if not, we need to fix the Incubator release
>> vetting process.
>
> If we buy into this (and I'm not totally convinced, but it is a
> separate question), then we're still not done ... we have a bunch of
> other hoops that we still force on incubating podlings that should be
> removed as well.

 From what I've seen of the oversight provided by the incubator for
podling releases, IP issues and licenses are not "being checked" but
"have been checked".

I don't know to what other hoops you might be referring.  The podling
is assumed to know what it is doing regarding content, functionality,
etc. Everything done by the incubator to vet a release is done to
protect Apache, such as appropriate licenses, notices, etc.

the other Craig