incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:27:36 GMT
On Thursday 15 March 2007 11:12, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> >
> > The version attribute is more appropriate IMO, and what was agreed
> > upon in an earlier thread on this list.
>
> As I understand it, so please correct me if I am wrong, if I download
> a program that builds using Maven, and it has dependencies in its
> pom.xml on Incubator artifiacts, then if Incubator artifacts are
> conflated with ASF artifacts, then when I built the program, it will
> automatically download the Incubator artifacts from the repository
> without my being aware of the dependency.  However, if the Incubator
> artifacts are segregated into a separate repository, then Maven will
> not download them until I, the downstream user, add that repository to
> Maven.  Is that correct or incorrect?

Semi correct.

If my project directly depends on incubator artifacts, I would need to
put the incubator repository in my pom.   However, if I depend on
another project that depends on incubator artifacts, I wouldn't because
most likely, their poms have a repository entry for the incubator.

As an example.   Let's say I am writing a project that depends on
geronimo 1.2-beta.   Geronimo 1.2-beta depends on several incubator
artifacts (yoko, openejb, some active mq stuff, etc..).    The geronimo
pom defines the incubator repository.   Thus, anything from the
incubator that it needs will automatically be grabbed without me knowing
about it.

The only time a user is forced to acknowledge it by defining the
incubator repository is if they take a DIRECT dependency.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer