incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Carlos Sanchez" <car...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Killing the incubator m2 repository
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:18:03 GMT
some Maven/repository details that I don't think were clear in previous threads:

1. central repo must be self contained, all artifacts in central
repository must have dependencies already in central, only exception
is if license doesn't allow redistribution but in that case the pom
must be there explaining what that artifact is.

2. per #1 projects with incubating dependencies can't be in central

3. it's an apache policy not to put incubating artifacts in central,
not a "central repository" policy, which could mean that incubating
projects could put their artifacts in org.myproject.... it'd be a
problem between them and the ASF

4. all repositories in the pom will be pinged until the dependency is
downloaded, this is by design, we don't want to specify for each
dependency where it is

5. order of repos is not defined so far, so central can be pinged for
incubating artifacts or p.a.o for central artifacts before they are
downloaded, the performance problem would only happen in the second
case

hope I put some light in the issue