incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Initial composition of the PPMC
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 18:10:29 GMT
The board resolution to establish a TLP contains the initial
composition of the PMC.

But I notice that the initial composition of an incubating Podling
PMC is not a suggested part of the incubator proposal. No one seems
responsible for it. And there is just a guideline:

<guides/ppmc.html>
The Podling Project Management Committee (PPMC) helps a Podling learn
how to govern itself. It works like a PMC but reports to the
Incubator PMC instead of to the ASF Board. Initially, it is composed
of the Podling's mentors and initial committers. The PPMC is directly
responsible for the oversight of the podling and it also decides who
to add as a PPMC member.
</guides/ppmc.html>

I'd like to clarify this if possible.

1. Since it is just a guideline, should we say that the mentors are
responsible for establishing the PPMC?

2. Is there any oversight to this process by the Incubator PMC? For
example, if the mentors decide not to follow the guideline.

3. Recently, the file committers/board/incubator-info.txt was added.
Should the process be updated to include the responsibility to post
the initial ppmc membership to this list?

If there is consensus on taking any action on these questions, I
volunteer to propose the changes to the incubator web site.

Craig Russell
DB PMC
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo