incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache XAP 0.3.0
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:04:28 GMT
On 2/13/07, Curt Arnold <carnold@apache.org> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2007, at 6:28 PM, James Margaris wrote:
>
> > Do the author tags need to be removed for release? Is it a general
> > Apache policy to not include author tags or is it project specific?

apache tries to run with minimal policy. instead we rely on democracy
(in the greek sense). this isn't policy but the opinion of (some of)
the electorate

>> (I quickly checked out log4j and I see lots of author tags there...)
> >

> It is not good practice.  In log4j, almost all @author tags belong to
> committers no longer active in the project so they no longer function
> as a "no trespassing" sign.  Sorry to be a bad example.

the consensus now is that author tags have proved to be a bad idea and
so should be discouraged. (not that it stops those who are most
determined to discover who created a class in order to email them
personally)

IHMO this isn't a matter that's serious enough to -1 a release.
hopefully, is anyone else thinks that this is the case they'll jump
in.

- robert