incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Incubator Board Report, February 2007
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:14:01 GMT
Dear Board,
Below is the Board report from the Incubator project for this month,
February 2007.  Thank you.

Summary
--------------
The Incubator continues along, with much project activity:
- mod_ftp graduated into the httpd project,
- log4net graduated into the Logging Services project,
- AltRMI, log4php, and TSIK exited Incubation into dormant status.
- The initial IP clearance for mod_wombat has been approved.
- Several other projects issued successful releases, and there seems
to be increasing smoothness around the release verification and voting
process.
- Roy Fielding resigned from the Incubator PMC.
- Niclas Hedhman joined the Incubator PMC (PMC chair still to request
ACK from board@)

One new project entered incubation: TripleSoup, a SPARQL endpoint for
httpd.  The project proposal is available at
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/TripleSoupProposal and its proposal
acceptance vote at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=117069564625278&w=2

Work continues on clarifying and improving Incubator documentation,
especially in the areas of IP clearance and related procedures.
There's a discussion around cleaning up the "bylaws" language in TLP
proposals in favor of "guidelines" or a similar term.  The start of
that thread is at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=117130831724125&w=2

Issues / Comments from last month's Board meeting:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Quotes are from previous Board meeting minutes, January 2007).
"A question to  be discussed later is what is the operational
difference between dormant and retired."
iPMC: No progress to report.

"The board clearly agreed that the Heraldry podling does not sound
healthy or "good"."
iPMC: Heraldry appears to be heading out of the Incubator into their
own project / foundation around OpenID, but mutual consent of all
parties involved.

"Jim noted his concern about Graffito and the apparent lack of any
activity combined with it's length of term within incubation."
iPMC: Graffito followup report is below.  The project appears to be
moving forward, albeit slowly.

February 2007 Podling Reports
--------------------------------------------
(Copied from wiki page at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/February2007)

== AltRMI ==

AltRMI was retired in January.

----

== Abdera ==

iPMC Reviewers: brett, dims, jerenkrantz, yoavs, jukka, twl, noel

Abdera is an implementation of the Atom Publishing Protocol and Atom
Syndication Format.

Items to complete before graduation:

 * Continue to expand the community
 * Handle any legal issues related to crypto code

Community:

 * Currently undergoing a release vote on general@incubator
 * Starting to see the Abdera code used in a variety of notable applications

Code:

 * A number of minor bug fixes (see README in proposed release zip files for
details)
 * Work has been done on using ivy for our ant based build, but has not yet
been completed
 * Plans have been made to extract the IRI code so that it can be used
outside of Abdera

iPMC questions / comments:
 * yoavs: It'd be nice to know which notable applications are using
Abdera, or have a linked to a "Powered By Abdera" page
   * rooneg: The ones that were mentioned were Joost (on the back end)
and some Lotus applications from IBM.
 * noel: "legal questions related to crypto" and "release vote" seem
at odds.  What issues are believed to exist?
   * rooneg: This has been resolved now.  It was just the crypto
notification stuff because we use bouncy castle.

----

== Graffito ==

iPMC Reviewers: jerenkrantz, yoavs, twl, noel

(This is the extra followup report requested by the board last month.)

Graffito is a framework for content-based applications, especially in
portlet environments. Graffito entered incubation on September 20, 2004.

The recent discussion on the status of the Graffito project has concluded
with some concrete action items (see
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-graffito-dev/200702.mbox/
%3c3b728ee90702140445i5d21bd22j95fb5b67c58abc70@mail.gmail.com%3e). The plan
is to realign Graffito to be more a content management framework instead of
a complete CMS product and to better leverage the features of JCR content
repositories.

The effect of these plans on commit activity remains to be seen, but as of
now the general feeling around the project is positive. Hopefully we'll have
some concrete results to show by the time of the next report.

----


== Ivy ==

iPMC Reviewers: jerenkrantz, yoavs, jukka, twl, noel

Ivy is a dependencies management tool mostly used in combination with Apache
Ant.

Incubating since: 2006-10-23

Items to resolve before graduation

 * to be detailed

Status:

XH: update on 02/15, hope it isn't too late:
Since the last report, the svn repository has been imported to Apache
Incubator from its previous location.
The JIRA issues have been imported too, the web site has been migrated to
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/.
Ivy is now built by gump, but there are still problems with some tests
failure in gump environment which should be resolved soon.

People get familiar with the mailing lists, we see more and more people
interested both on the ivy-user and ivy-dev mailing lists.
Development is proceeding. The package names have been changed to
org.apache.ivy from fr.jayasoft.ivy, and a refactoring to help new
developers better understand the source code is currently under development.


Plans:

 * to be detailed

iPMC questions / comments:
 * JE: Please follow the report template next time.
 * noel: "to be detailed" should *be* detailed.  Are you saying that the
project doesn't know what to say?

----

== Lokahi ==

iPMC Reviewers:

Missing Report, pinged 2/9, 2/14

iPMC questions / comments:
 * jukka: The mailing list are silent and there are no recent commits. Is
all hope lost?
 * wrowe: I have pinged; the last bundle works quite well, but there was
integration
  (already started) for much more commonly available OSS DB backends.  The
last effort
  on this activity was 1/5.  Will apprise as I learn more.  There was
activity since
  their November Report, I'm not terribly worried.  (yet).
 * wrowe: One thing that the podling is ready for are some participants from
other
  framework and infrastructure projects who want their services
better-integrated
  to step forward to help :)  A post to community w.r.t. suggestion might
be useful.

----

== mod_ftp (final i.a.o report) ==

iPMC Reviewers:

The Apache HTTPD mod_ftp Project is a protocol module for Apache 2.x which
implements
RFCs: 959, 1123, 2228, 238, regarding the FTP specifications

Entered incubation: 2005-08-06;  Exited incubation for httpd TLP: 2007-02-15

The mod_ftp podling, httpd TLP and incubator PMC have voted to graduate
mod_ftp to httpd's
domain as its subproject:

mod_ftp@i.a.o podling Vote Thread
Message-ID: <459F6F02.5050104@rowe-clan.net>

mod_ftp-dev@i.a.o podling Vote Summary
Message-Id: <AEA0F064-1BAB-4A1E-B4E5-B65E9011DE8E@jaguNET.com>

> > 4 binding +1 votes (and 1 nonbinding +1) by mod_ftp to exit the
> > incubator as an httpd sub-project.


dev@HTTPD.a.o Vote Thread
Message-Id: <A168EDCE-77F8-4865-8485-7DFEB630A283@jaguNET.com>

dev@HTTPD.a.o Vote Summary
Message-Id: <1583C015-C162-41A7-83EC-08DEE3EC3194@jaguNET.com>

> > +1  Justin Erenkrantz
> >     Jim Jagielski
> >     Ruediger Pluem
> >     Will Rowe
> >     Sander Temme
> >     Nick Kew (recorded late)
> > -1  None
> >
> > The consensus is that:
> >
> >   1. mod_ftp be a httpd sub-project (ala mod_box)
> >   2. mod_ftp will use the httpd lists (dev, user, etc...)
> >      and not have separate lists


Incubator (general@i.a.o) Vote Thread
Message-ID: <45CF3A1E.9010409@rowe-clan.net>

Incubator (general@i.a.o) Vote Summary
Message-ID: <45D53A8D.1070605@rowe-clan.net>

> Final tally;
>
> +1; wrowe, yoavs, rdonkin, jerenkrantz, bdelacretaz, jim, leosimons
> -1; none
>
>
> In light of this; I declare the vote passed by all three committees,
> and will begin the transfer of mod_ftp assets into the httpd project
> per their consensus and further discussion to come, and [xxx] submit
> this as the final mod_ftp subproject report under the incubator's
> umbrella.

----

== NMaven ==

iPMC Reviewers: brett, jerenkrantz, yoavs, jukka, twl, noel

NMaven develops plugins and integration for Maven to make building and using
.NET languages a first-class citizen in Maven.

Incubating since: 2006-11-17

Items to resolve before graduation
 * More active committer involvement (so far good discussions on mailing
lists)
 * Engage other ASF projects (Lucene.NET, log4net) to see if NMaven can meet
any of their needs.
 * Create WIKI

Status:
 * Web site up - improved documentation
 * JIRA issue tracker setup
 * More community involvement: mailing-list, bugs, patches, etc

Plans:
 * Work on a .NET integration test component
 * Work on a release plugin
 * Release a snapshot into the incubator repo

iPMC questions / comments:
 * yoavs: What does "More community involvement: mailing-list, bugs,
patches, etc" mean?

----

== Qpid ==

iPMC Reviewers: brett, jerenkrantz, yoavs, twl, noel

The Apache Qpid Project provides an open and interoperable, multiple
language implementations of the Advanced Messaged Queuing Protocol
(AMQP) specification

Date of entry to the Incubator : 2006-09

Top three items to resolve before graduation
 1. Defining a policy for adding new committers
 2. Understanding the details between JCP and announce compliance
 3. Making sure we are comfortable with the working relationship between
Qpid and the AMQP Working Group.

Our STATUS file needs to be updated wrt this report and the addition of our
new committers.

* Any legal, cross-project or personal issues that still need to be
addressed?

The whole project has not gone through release review and the license files
and notices need to be checked for all languages and components.

* Latest developments.

 * Since entering into incubation we have had one release of the java code
base (M1).
 * We have migrated our build system from ant to maven.
 * Development has been moving forward. with improvements in memory
footprint management passing the JMS TCK in with the java broker.
 * Addition of .NET client
 * Contributions from 5+ non committers
 * Successfully voted to give 3 new committers access rights
 * Successfully voted to give a new member contributor rights to cwiki.
 * The creation of the first draft of Web site
 * General progress on all models in the code base

* Plans and expectations for the next period?

During the next period we plan on improving the stability of all language
variants. Working towards a standard interoperability test suite and
improved test code coverage of the whole code base. To this end we would
like to get all the languages passing each others tests. We will also be
pushing forward official JMS compliance certification for both brokers.
Would like to create a release of the full code set.

iPMC questions / comments:
 * Brett: is it 'has now gone through release review', or 'has not' as
stated? How was M1 released if license files and notices have not been
checked, or has that only been done for Java?
 * Response by Martin(Qpid PPMC): The M1 release only included the Java code
base as a result only the license/notice files for Java were checked. The
other language variants are being checked to ensure the correct files are in
place for when they are ready to release.

 * noel: Can you elaborate on Top Item #1, in light of having elected new
Committers?
        Are the new Committers listed in the STATUS file?  The STATUS files
does not show any record of the decisions.

----

== ServiceMix ==

iPMC Reviewers: brett, dims, jerenkrantz, yoavs, jukka, twl, noel

ServiceMix is an Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) built on Java Business
Integration (JBI, aka JSR 208).

Since our last report, ServiceMix has voted in one new committer, Eric
Dofonsou, but his account has not been created yet as his CLA has not been
recorded yet.
The user community is very active and we have lots of contributors
submitting patches which is a good sign that the developer community will
continue to grow with a good heterogeneity.

The 3.1 released has just been voted by the incubator PMC and has been
officially released on Feb. 12.  This release is an important release and
includes lots of new features, improvements and bug fixes. Roadmap for next
releases has not been discussed yet.

The confluence WIKI which is used for the main site was previously hosted at
goopen.org.  It has been moved to the ASF so that all the resources are now
hosted at the ASF.

iPMC questions / comments:
 * JE: Mentors should inform Eric regarding email transmission of CLAs
instead of faxes.
 * jukka: Sounds good, any missing steps before graduation?

----

== stdcxx ==

iPMC Reviewers: brett, jerenkrantz, yoavs, jukka, twl, noel

Stdcxx status report for the calendar quarter ending in February 2007.

__Project Summary__:

Stdcxx is a highly portable implementation of the C++ Standard Library
conforming to the ISO/IEC 14882 international standard for C++.

In incubation since 5/19/2005.

__Issues to resolve before graduation__:

 * Increase committer base and diversity.
 * Invite all committers to join the PPMC.

__Community__:

The project  has 11 committers  (excluding mentors).  Of these  6 have
been (or  were at some point)  active. The diversity  of the committer
community is 54%. The stdcxx  PPMC consists of 4 committers (excluding
mentors).  (These  numbers are  the same  as at the  time of  the last
report.)

Recently, the  stdcxx PPMC has  voted to invite the  committers Andrew
Black and  Farid Zaripov to  join the PPMC.  With the approval  of the
Incubator PMC they will be invited to join in the next few days.

__Activity__:

The stdcxx-dev list has 50  subscribers (down from 52 last report) and
averages  4.47 post per  day since  inception (down  from 4.79).   The
stdcxx-user list has 31 subscribers (down from 33) with a mean of 0.34
posts  per day  since  inception (unchanged  since  last report).  The
stdcxx-commits list has 15 subscribers (unchanged), and 1.94 posts per
day (down from 2.09). There are  338 issues in the stdcxx bug tracking
database (up from  301). Of these 137 are closed  or resolved (up from
120).

Since the  last report the team  has been busy  fixing bugs, enhancing
the test suite,  and work has begun on the  implementation of the type
traits facility.  An infrastructure  to publish nightly build and test
results has been put in place:
http://people.apache.org/~sebor/stdcxx/results/

__Code__:

The most  recent release  of stdcxx, version  4.1.3, was  published in
January 2006. The next  release, tentatively numbered 4.2, is expected
to be  published in  summer of  2007. All code  is licensed  under the
Apache license version 2.

iPMC questions / comments:
 * Brett: what is the target for committer base & diversity?

----

== Tuscany ==

iPMC Reviewers: dims, jerenkrantz, yoavs, jukka, twl, noel

Tuscany provides infrastructure for developing service-oriented applications
based on the OSOA specifications for Service Component Architecture (SCA)
and Service Data Objects (SDO).

Since our last report Tuscany has voted in one new committer, Simon Laws,
but community diversity remains an issue with most contributors working for
a single company.

The Incubator PMC approved the M2 release of the Java SCA, SDO and DAS
components and development continues apace. There is some significant
restructuring and modularization the Tuscany Java code base underway,
particularly related to SCA, the goal being to simplify the Tuscany build
and release process and provide support for an upcoming version of the SCA
specification. This instability is causing some tension in the community but
is being worked through on the lists.

For its next M3 release the Tuscany C++ runtime is being renamed to Tuscany
Native to reflect its support for various other language platforms such as
PHP, Ruby and Python.

The ability to participate in the OSOA collaboration has been demonstrated
with a project member who is not an employee of one of the vendors being
able to contribute to the process.

iPMC questions / comments:
 * JE: OSOA?
      ant: OSOA is the collaboration group where the SCA specs are
currently being developed, see: http://www.osoa.org
 * noel: Are there any specific steps being taken to improve diversity?

----

== Woden ==

iPMC Reviewers: dims, jerenkrantz, yoavs, jukka, twl

Woden is a Java class library for reading, validating, manipulating,
creating and writing WSDL documents, initially to support WSDL 2.0 and with
the longer term aim of supporting past, present and future versions of WSDL.

In the last quarter the Woden project made significant progress towards
aligning with the current version of the WSDL 2.0 specification. Woden
participated in the second W3C WSDL 2.0 working group interop event. During
this event the Woden team contributed a large number of new test cases to
the WSDL 2.0 test suite. Woden is set to declare milestone 7 (M7). With this
milestone Woden's component and XML models now align with the current
version of the WSDL 2.0 specification. M7 marks the first milestone for
which Woden 100% passed the component model test suite. (Note: The test
suite has since taken on additions and changes and work will need to be done
to integrate these changes in Woden as the spec approaches Proposed
Recommendation status.)

Also of note, Woden's URI resolver went through a review process, its test
suite was significantly improved, and its documentation was updated to
coincide with the current version of the project.

iPMC questions / comments:
 * yoavs: how's the community doing?

----

== WSRP4J ==

iPMC Reviewers:

No report

----

== XAP ==

iPMC Reviewers: jerenkrantz, yoavs, jukka, twl, noel

Since our last report a number of people have begun contributing bug reports
and fixes through JIRA, including some huge improvements to the widget tests
that are now very robust. (Thank you Trevor) Hopefully some of these
contributors will be converted to committers in short order.

XAP is in the midst of getting out a first release - most issues have been
resolved (file headers, etc), still working through a couple things like
NOTICE file contents.

The Wiki has been updated with more information for both developers and
users. (But probably needs updating again)

Technical changes include many bug fixes to individual widgets, replacement
of the logging mechanism with a log4j-based approach (feedback on how close
this is to log4j would be appreciated, the code is in xap/log/Logger.js), a
cleaned up launch mechanism, conversion of config file from XML to JSON
format, some performance improvements, etc.

Future plans: More bug fixes, better samples and examples, constant code
cleanup and maintenance, performance improvements. (Initial loading, memory
use) Beyond that need to discuss as release winds down.

iPMC Comments:
 * noel: As Justin has repeatedly told a number of projects, please follow
the report template, e.g., "What is XAP?"

----

== Yoko ==

iPMC Reviewers: brett, jerenkrantz, yoavs, jukka, twl

Since our last report, the yoko project has added 2 committers(Alexey
Petrenko & Matteo Vescovi). We have released our first milestone release &
working towards our next release (possibly a 1.0 final release). We have
worked actively with the Geronimo, Harmony & CXF projects & fixed a lot of
inter-op issues with the ORB. The tools & the runtime needed to expose the
corba applications as web services is also beginning to look stable. Also,
we have moved to a confluence based system for our web site & currently
working on the documentation of all the components in yoko.

iPMC questions / comments:
 * JE: Please submit the report in the correct format next time (i.e. "what
is Yoko?").
 * noel: Your STATUS file appears to be out of date, not reflecting the
content of this report.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message