incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: incubator releases need to be under www.a.o/dist/incubator
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 01:43:24 GMT
Roy,

> At various times, various people have stated various rather
> incongruent descriptions of what has to be done when a podling
> performs a release

> One thing that seems to have been forgotten is that an approved
> release must be in the form of SOURCE CODE and must be placed
> in the associated PMC's public distribution area under
>     http://www.apache.org/dist/
> and by doing so ALL of our releases get archived at
>     http://archive.apache.org/dist/

The "associated PMC" would be the Incubator, and you might notice that there
is not an incubator/ directory under those locations.

As I understand it, the primary issue is that there has been a lot of
emphasis to say that Incubator releases are explicitly NOT official ASF
releases and are not to be conflated as such.  Were they to be considered
official, at least at some points in the past, many ASF folks would have
railed against allowing them at all.  At various points, people went so far
as to suggest that the Incubator be forked separately from ASF infrastucture
to create more distance, which would be going too far IMO.  So we have made
every effort to keep Incubator releases and "real" ASF releases separate.

	--- Noel