incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: incubator releases need to be under www.a.o/dist/incubator
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:27:04 GMT
On Feb 21, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Leo Simons wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2007, at 1:08 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> One thing that seems to have been forgotten is that an approved
>> release must be in the form of SOURCE CODE and must be placed
>> in the associated PMC's public distribution area under
>>
>>    http://www.apache.org/dist/
>
> The second "must" there in that sentence has been topic of much
> debate. I believe the main arguments against it go along the lines
> of "are not real apache releases", "we should not bother our
> mirrors with this", "goes against infrastructure release policy", etc.

I think my point was that I don't consider it a debate any more.
What is the point of debating something if we never make a decision?

> Should we interpret the below [...]
> as "we make US government officials unhappy (to say the least) if
> we put releases (for their definition of release) that are or might
> be subject to export laws in any location other than www.apache.org/
> dist/"?

No, it should be interpreted as: we made guidelines for the PMCs
because we gave them guns with loaded ammunition and did not want
them to shoot the collective us in the feet.  Allowing a podling
to make a release is giving it the gun, loading the ammunition,
and then ... what?

I think the same guidelines should apply to incubator WHEN incubator
decides to make a release.  The fact that the code came from a podling
does not make the gun any safer.  More to the point, incubator's lack
of discipline in this matter makes it harder to maintain consistent
documentation on our www dev site, which makes me very grumpy.

....Roy