incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] mod_wombat ip clearance
Date Sat, 17 Feb 2007 07:18:13 GMT
On Feb 16, 2007, at 2:42 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> On Feb 15, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Brian McCallister wrote:
>
>> On Feb 15, 2007, at 2:53 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>>
>>> -1 (NOT binding)
>>>
>>> The document still contains remnants of its TEMPLATE origin
>>>
>>> search for "TEMPLATE"
>>
>> Deleted this section, thank you
>
> Does the page title still show up in the browser as "XYZ Codebase
> Intellectual Property (IP) Clearance Status"? You didn't edit this
> line in the patch below.

The title of the document has been changed.

>>> search for "if applicable"
>>
>> Using the search available here ( http://www.uspto.gov/main/
>> trademarks.htm ) I found nothing which looks infringing. There are
>> a number of wombat trademarks around, but the only one related to
>> software is marked DEAD. The closest live one is for some folks
>> who make keyboards.
>>
>>> search for "Check and make sure"
>>
>> All of these have been checked, made sure, and appropriately dated.
>>
>>> search for "Identify name recorded for software grant: the name
>>> of the grant as record[sic]"
>>
>> Good catch, thank you.
>
> ok.
>>
>>> search for "For individuals, use the name as recorded on the
>>> committers page"
>>
>> Prior to import it has only been available under the Apache
>> License, Version 2.0. As such, everyone not in violation of that
>> license has distribution rights.
>
> ok.
>>

>>> If the incubator is to perform due diligence, there's not much on
>>> which to perform "diligence" here.
>>
>> Huh? There are four code grants, one from each person who has
>> contributed code. There are four CLA's, one from each person who
>> has contributed code. There is verification of the information I
>> asserted in the template. There is also the two spots in the
>> template I missed filling in which you caught -- who has
>> distribution rights and the name of the project used in grants.txt.
>
> This is a question for the incubator "due diligencers". Is the
> intent of the document to have the sections replaced as in [1] or
> simply dated as in [2]?
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/geronimo-iiop.html
> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/harmony-14-
> contribution-classlib-ibm.html
>
> I believe that if the incubator folks are supposed to perform due
> diligence given only this form, then the form needs to have the
> information. On the other hand, if the form is simply a checklist
> and the incubator folks just make sure that the lists are checked,
> then just dates are fine.
>
> I think this is the subject of another email thread so I won't
> recap here.

I agree that it is worthy of discussion. If you do feel strongly I
will replace the values.

>>> I might be missing the point of the template, but I guess the
>>> sections above are supposed to be replaced with actual names,
>>> actions taken, file locations, references to email threads, etc.
>>
>> I have checked in the updates to cover these points, but I have
>> not redeployed the inubator site, For your convenience I have
>> included the diff of the changes below.
>
> Modulo remarks above, fine by me.

Great, you are satisfied with the IP clearance?

While you pointed out that your vote is non-binding, I respect your
opinion and want to resolve everything to satisfaction :-)

-Brian