incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Tuscany is still a podling ...
Date Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:16:53 GMT
On Feb 25, 2007, at 7:18 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Sunday 25 February 2007 22:34, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>> The vote below was held in the Tuscany podling to release two
>> artifacts that are used by other modules during the build process;
>> they are a podling-wide parent pom and configuration data for code
>> checking.
>>
>> There are four +1's from the PPMC but no binding votes and we would
>> like to ask the IPMC to approve the release.
>
> Can someone explain to me why http://ws.apache.org/ lists Tuscany as a
> su-project of WS, as well as the mailling lists are @ws.apache.org,
> yet the
> project is not graduated???

When the project was proposed, it was sponsored by the WS-PMC and
entered incubation. IIRC, at the time mailing lists were typically
associated with the sponsoring PMC and so were created under ws (AIUI
this policy has subsequently changed).

I believe the legal issues and such for the podling have been resolved
[1] but I also believe that community issues are such that the
podling is not yet ready to graduate.

> When I responded to the "veto" on the codedump, I got the
> impression (this is
> serious) that Tuscany had graduated, hence not really an Incubator
> issue
> anymore...

I "vetoed" the codedump for two main reasons. The first is that the
IP clearance process is not being followed: there is no record of the
code here
   http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
and there has been no vote by the Tuscany PPMC or Incubator PMC to
accept the code.

The second is that there has been *no* discussion about this
contribution in the community. One of the community issues Tuscany
has is dominance by a single vendor and the way this contribution is
being handled is symptomatic of that.

I think both of these reasons are relevant to the Incubator, although
responsibility for fixing them lies first with the podling.

 From a technical perspective, I think this contribution could make a
useful addition to Tuscany.

> Is it only me that feels that something is not "standard" around
> here??
>

> And it goes for a couple of others as well; Woden, TSIK & Synapse.

Woden is still incubating, TSIK was withdrawn and Synapse has graduated.
--
Jeremy

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/tuscany.html