incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Incubating Project Policy
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2007 17:57:04 GMT
On 2/5/07, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 04 February 2007 22:42, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > * donations (whether covered by a CLA, JIRA opt in or a software grant)
>
> Shouldn't we avoid the word "donation"?? Code is not donated to ASF, it is
> licensed. "Time" is perhaps donated to ASF, but not IP...

I believe people are donating a copyright to the code. A license
doesn't transfer copyright or make another party the copyright holder.
In the case of these commits, the ASF is becoming a joint copyright
holder to the work. Since we are a non-profit organization that
solicits monetary donations, I don't see why we would shy away from
the word "donate" when we are talking about IP.

In the case of our own commits, as copyright holders, we are donating
(or contributing) to the ASF a non-exclusive copyright, and then we
are committing the donation/contribution as an authorized
representative of the ASF. It's a "two hat" process :)

-Ted.