incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Incubating Project Policy
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2007 17:54:18 GMT
> As noted by James Margaris, yourself, Bertrand, et al, this does not actually address
the
> issue where someone is committing co-workers' work, rather than having the co-workers
>participating on-list.  We are really looking to have those
co-workers be the one's directly
>posting to the mailing list or JIRA.  To get what you want, your
second paragraph should
>clarify that "first [posting] the submission" means BY THE ACTUAL
CONTRIBUTOR, not
> a proxy.

In the "committing for employer under a CCLA" scenario, the co-workers
have probably assigned all their rights to the code to their employer.
Accordingly, the individual is not the contributor, the employer is
the contributor. The actual contributor is the corporate entity, and
the committer is probably wearing two hats. One hat is the "ASF
liason", another hat is "ASF committer".

In this scenario, the appropriate course of action would seem to be to
credit the contribution to the corporate entity, citing that a CCLA is
on file.

If the contribution is the least bit controversial, then, of course,
it should be brought up for discussion first -- just as we would with
a controversial contribution written by an individual contributor,
even when that individual is also a committer and PMC member.

Meanwhile, our lists are open to all comers. If these co-workers want
to participate,  they can. But, these individuals may or may not be
authorized to discuss the code in public. It's easy to imagine an
environment where a senior employee is trusted to contribute and
discuss this work outside the office domain, while other employers
have not yet earned that trust with their employer. It's also easy to
imagine that the co-workers may choose to lurk and do not want to
volunteer their own time to the foundation.

-Ted.