incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Incubating Project Policy
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:33:41 GMT
On 2/1/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>   No third-party code (beyond bugzilla and mailing list submissions) may be
>   directly committed without first posing the submission to the mailing list.
>   This goes for submissions by associates who are unaffiliated with the
>   project, private correspondence to a committer, and third party open source
>   code which is otherwise compatible with the Apache Software License.

I think the real issue here is off-list discussions.

So long as the commit is above-board, properly documentation in the
Subversion log, and backed by a ICLA when applicable, I don't see what
difference posting it to JIRA first makes. If there's an unforeseen
problem, a PMC member can veto the change, and we roll back the
commit.

Of course, if a committer believes the commit may be controversial,
then he or she should revert to review-then-commit. But that applies
to every commit, including those we author ourselves. Likewise, if a
committer believes that we need better providence on a patch, we
should obtain a ICLA first, regardless of whether it is posted to JIRA
first.

The real harm in this scenario is that the committer is accepting
private correspondence and other back-channel communications regarding
development matters.

-Ted.